DSLR workshop Nick Piet
Piet & Nick's Advanced dSLR Video Workshop
I have teamed up with one of Australia's finest photographers, Nick Rains to offer a workshop for anyone who has recognised the need to incorporate video into their businesses. bring decades of experience as a documentary cinematographer working with high end video and film cameras, and Nick offers the perspective of 28 years as a stills photographer who has recognised and developed the potential of HD video for his business.
Over the past twelve months or so there has been a revolution in image making - DSLR's like the Canon 5D Mark II and the Sony NEX-VG10 have opened up the possibility of making full HD movies with an amazing cinematic quality. Stills photographers have been fascinated with the potential of the new features but have often floundered when they realise that making good short movies is nowhere as easy as it looks.
It is certain that understanding and delivering mixed media content will be an incredibly useful tool as the publishing industry transitions to delivery on tablet computers, phones and iPads etc. Print clients are beginning to request video clips from their stills photographers so an understanding of how to produce decent footage will be essential in the future.
MovieTube PR rig
Nick and I will cover the necessary hardware, sound recording, video shooting basics and editing software in an easy to digest format over a weekend at the Newport Mirage Resorton Sydney's northern beaches.
Topics covered over two days
- DSLR cameras including the classic 5D Mark II
- Lens choices - wide apertures, zooms, telephoto
- Shooting with the constraints of the camera design
- Vital accessories such as the MovieTube shoulder rigs and viewfinders
- Handheld shooting techniques
- Tripod shooting techniques
- Sound with sound recordist James Nowiczewski
- Shoot for the edit - video clips are not stills
- Editing software - iMovie, Final Cut Pro and Premier Pro
- Delivery for web - Vimeo and YouTube, website embedding
When and where
Where: The Mirage Resort, Newport on Sydney's northern beaches