I have had some time to use these two recent Cine Alta releases from Sony. Read my Australian Cinematographer Magazine reviews.
Just completed two solid days of One-on-One training with Jason. Working in the real estate sphere, he uses Nikons including the D800E plus collection of great Nikon glass. Our practice location shoot took place around the leavy streets of North Sydney. Jason is using the Small HD DP4 monitor in one of my favorite North Sydney streetscapes.
I've just returned from Korea. Fifteen days covering Australia and Asia for US software and data centre giant VMware, showcasing their new Horizon™ Suite using the Sony PMW-TD300 3D camera. Locations, Malaysia, Japan and Korea. Production company, Visionation. Director, Stephen De Villiers
As the DP I enjoyed using the TD300. It's a compact 3D video camera, shoulder-mount in design with a remarkably light body. One of the best features is that it is a fully integrated 3D camera reducing the burden of having to do complicated adjustments on location before and during shooting - adjustments such as time consuming left and right lens alignment and misaligned verticle convergence.
A thankyou goes out to Sony Australia for valuable camera technical support and to our Stereoscopic 3D Supervisor, Rob Morton. Rob kept the twin lenses alligned and perfectly converged for our endless tracking setups. I suspect this gig may have been slightly calmer compared to his work as Stereoscopic 3D Supervisor on Storm Surfers 3D. Finally, Calvin Gardiner and his team at Engine - they are doing the edit and post work.
Photographers from Fairfax Media continue their DSLR-for-video training with PDV Digital Cinema Workshops. The lastest through the training course came from from the Sydney Morning Herald, the Illawarra Mercury and the Newcastle Herald. Check out their work in the video section of the SMH iPad app.
Three elements - THE CAMERA, THE STORY and THE LIGHT form the foundation of successful video cameracraft and were the foundations of this workshop, designed for users of DSLR and conventional video cameras. Some of the participants of another sucessful weekend workshop.
Could not load widget with the id 188.click images to enlarge
Just one spot left - book now. Details here
click images to enlarge
"Thank you for an invaluable weekend as our private tutor in cameracraft and directing. My partner Stuart and I have come away with more information and skill than we hoped for, and in a very short time. In terms of honing our production skills, you are a miracle worker."
Ruth Ostrow, Videographer and Senior Journalist, The Australian Newspaper
One of the latest DSLR-for-video training participants. There are some inspiring nearby locations for our practical shoots.
Steve, Helen, Kirk, Silvia and Jess are the latest Fairfax Media staff to take their photography skills to the Herald's iPad app. Keep your eye out for some stunning new video content.
There was a big turnout for my lighting masterclass at Australia's spectacular Apple Store in George St Sydney.
The scheduled one hour session went well beyond - I brought along enough video lighting to take car of the entire ground floor.
My thanks to not only all who came along but to Nick, Brandon and Bree from Apple, our model Celia and camera assistant Dan Becker. Nick Buchner from Sony Australia provided an F55 camera for the night, a good choice said the crowd.
Light, and the way it falls, sets the mood in every scene. Join Pieter de Vries, one of Australia's finest cinematographers, as he discusses the very latest photographic lighting tools and how to create softness, intensity and drama by looking into the shadows. He'll also share advice on interview lighting and professional lighting on a budget.
The Apple Store, George St Sydney, Thursday 13 June at 6:00 pm
More Articles ...
- A Girl and a Gun - a new video chat show podcast series
- new cinema commercial goes into production for Page 2 Communications
- PDV's Fairfax Media training course #5
- Northside Creative Photography talk
- One-on-One training for shoot in Africa
- Krakow, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Geneva, London & Amsterdam assignments
- Lectures and shoot in PNG, Tufi, Tami & Trobriand Islands
- Two-day Sydney workshop - March 10th & 11th
- Lectures and photography shoot Bali, Java & Singapore
- In the Red Centre, Alice "Springs" to the Video Masterclass
- The Red Centre Masterclass fills
- Apple Masterclass in Film
- Latest custom workshop for HD DSLR pros
- SBS Television and Reed Publishing journalists training course
- The Shadowcatchers at the Cremorne Orpheum Cinema, Cremorne Sydney
- The Darwin workshops
- August, a busy month for video training
- Herald photographers HD DSLR training for the SMH iPad app
- Sydney's top freelance photographers take on the HD DSLR
- Michael Balint: up to speed with his Canon C300