One-to-One Training with PDV
Training with cinematographer and photographer Pieter de Vries will give you the skills needed to shoot stunning video. If you want to learn the technical and creative essentials and prefer learning at your own pace, then One-to-One is for you - it's the ultimate shortcut to the skills you need at a time that suits you. Training for small groups can also be organised. PDV is based in Sydney, however training can be arranged in other centres.
• Personnel required to produce video for their company
The weekend features two linked workshops. With the focus on documentary making, Pieter de Vries will share the story-telling and camera techniques that have made him one of the leading documentary cinematographers in the world.
Come on the Saturday or the Sunday. Come both days and absorb a total documentary and cinematography experience that will add to your existing filmmaking skills. You will leave inspired and eager to try new ideas and shooting techniques. Here for details
22nd April 2017: Bilgola Beach 610am. I used a Sony RX100 Mk4 for this shot.
March & April 2017: Snow blizzards recently blanketed the north east of the United States. I was there to capture and document the beautly of New Jersey in the snowy aftermath. A comination of stills photograpy and video in the countrside and on the streets of New York.
18th February 2017: The Bilgola Beach rock shelf at low tide. I used a Sony A7R Mk2.
October/November 2016: The face of a new generation in Myanmar is this young market girl. Such generous and welcoming people make up this still desperately poor nation. It is a wonderful place to roam with a camera.
1st October 2016: My Still to Motion workshop for Focus photographers has wrapped and it was a great day. Thanks to all those who came along, glad to know you had a great time as well as leaving with new skills. It's also a great way for me to meet new people.
Focus is a community for those who share a passion for landscape and seascape photography. Visit the Focus website
Birds and seals South Georgia - Gold Bay King Penguins, Baily's Head Chinstrap Penguins and Antarctic peninsular landscapes
November/December I travelled to the island of South Georgia and Antarctica on the Polar Pioneer for Aurora Expeditions, my role was as a guest cinematography lecturer. I shot video footage along the way. For this expedition, I chose to forgo my Sony PXW-FS7, taking only Sony stills cameras.
Here are are two short videos, shot in 4K, recorded on the Ninja Assassin and uploaded as HD. My camera/lens kit consisted of a Sony A7R Mk2, Sony A7R (stills only), Sony 70-200mm f/4 G zoom, Zeiss Loxia 55mm f/2, Sony/Zeiss 16-35mm f/4, Canon 400mm f/5.6, Sony RX100 Mk4, GoPro 4, Atomos Ninja Assassin, Miller Air tripod/fluid head, Zoom H4n recorder. I used standard gamma settings and the audio was recorded mainly by the A7R's stereo microphone. I used no additional camera accessories. If weight was again a factor, I'd gladly pack the same kit for the next assignment. I was interviewd before leaving on the expedition.
I was recently interviewed by Sarah Kanowski in Brisbane. It was a priviledge to have been asked to be a guest on ABC radio's Conversations. It's one of ABC's most popular regular radio segments with an list of amazing guests who have contributed before me.
Sarah was filling in for regular host Richard Fidler and she made me feel right at home. We talked about work, my assigments, my childhood and as expected, much was left out, so many important collegues momentarily forgotten. I enjoyed my hour long talk - nothing like a hour of live radio to brush away the cobwebs.
A podcast of my interview is available on the ABC Conversations website.
The final day of video training for SBS Television cadet video journalists. Phil Ly plays the the news presenter with a passion for nicking colleague's headphones. A full day shooting news spoofs that will sum up the new skills learnt during the week. Vanessa Jane on the right, Creative Strategist, film-maker and producer and entrepreneur.
More Articles ...
- Smartfone Flick Fest 2016 judges announced
- assignment: Sunrise - Sydney's northern beaches
- Seven West Cadet Journalists
- January ACS Drop-In evening - Sony update & A7r MK2 talk
- Assignment: Taipei, Ryukyu Islands, Kagoshima & Shanghai
- VJ training for Walkley Award winning journalist
- Video camera training for Seven Network's Political Reporter
- Assignment: Into the Deep Freeze Freeze, South Georgia & Antarctica expedition
- Assignment: A very rare Cape Horn visit
- SBS television cadet journalist training
- Exclusive Photography Expedition - Antarctica & South Georgia
- ABC Canberra journalist Siobhan Heanue
- Assignment: India & Bhutan for Intuition documentary
- September - transition-to-video training in Goondiwindi
- September - Marg & Steve, Red Moon Creative
- August - Network Seven cadet journalists training
- Assignment: an Intuition documentary in the USA
- Top Melbourne Journalist One-on-One training
- Training for observational documentary
- Assignment: My South East Asian cinematography talks